Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's been a Year

Today marks one year since I left Canada to come and work abroad. To say the least, it has been the most amazing/challenging/inspiring year of my life and has significantly shaped the person I am today. Had you asked me a year ago, where I would be today I would have probably thought back in Calgary. Having said that, one of the most important lessons I've learned is that life is difficult to plan, despite where you are and how sure of things you might be. So much happens that is out of your control, circumstances change, and as a result you as a person change too.

Being away from everyone and everything that you're comfortable with, really makes you hit a lot of highs and lows but with time you learn to adjust. I went through a phase where I had never felt lonelier in my life, and where I was resentful toward the people and the culture around me, and where it seemed so difficult to get anything done. But then I hit a phase where I developed strong friendships with the people around me, and felt empowered by all of the opportunities in front of me and even loved not being able to understand what was going on around me (still do...keeps me out of a lot of drama I presume). Because of all of this, I know that I have changed and that I have a different outlook on life than I did a year ago.

To sum it up, in the last year I've:
-Lived on my own for the first time
-.....in 2 different countries
-Rented my first apartment
-Had 6 roommates from 4 different countries
-Worked in 2 different countries
-Had my first business trip
-Travelled to 11 countries and more cities than I can count
-Stepped onto Asia for the first time
-Learned "basic" Czech and Slovak (very basic unfortunately)
-Tasted many varieties of food and drink
-Drank my first full Pivo...and several after that
-Made friends from around the world

I suppose the list could go on and on because I seem to constantly encounter new things and that's what makes this whole experience so captivating.

Thanks to my family and friends for supporting me even though we're an ocean apart.

Blanka

PS: I forgot to mention that I've notably contributed to the tourism industry in Prague :)

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Jenny H. said...

God then I can't even imagine what kind of person you were a year ago! ...haha, NOT!

So glad you've been around babe. Should we have a li'l celebration?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger kent said...

Yes, celebrate. Jenny is good at that kind of thing.

Congrats, Blanka. It was great hearing all those stories day-after-day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home