Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pivo

It may or may not come as such a surprise to you that I drink beer...depending on which side of the Atlantic you met me. Before leaving Canada I'd never drank a whole one in my life, not that I hadn't tried, I just couldn't down a Budweiser for the life of me. Fast forward to Prague and I even impressed myself with my ability to finish off a whole pint after several attempts. Don't start "ass"uming that I'm a boozer or anything like though.

Beer culture (who would have thought the two words could go side by side) is part of life in Prague. After a couple months of being here its not hard to imagine why. The original Budweiser comes from the Czech Republic as does the original Pilsner. More importantly however is the price of beer where you can get yourself a pint of original Czech brew for average of 30czk or $1.50 for us Canadians. What's even more is that's the same price as getting a 0.3l bottle of water or a soft drink (it's very rare to be able to ask for tap water for free). So as logic would have it, most people opt for the Pivo; lunch, dinner, night out and for the professionals, even breakfast. I've seen it many a time walking by a local pub in the morning. Most importantly is the fact that the stuff actually tastes good, its a lot lighter than Canadian beer and doesn't leave you feeling like you've eaten a loaf of bread afterwards.

I rest my case...

Side note; for all you future Prague visitors, don't ever and I mean ever pay 90 czk for a beer at the Old Town Square or other tourist trap. I'm sure the beer ancestors would roll over in their graves when hearing of that inflated price. Max 45czk.

As I am not a subject matter expert, I will suggest you check out my friend Jenny (and friends) comprehensive Beer Blog Dobre Pivo.


Na Zdravi!

3 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger Jenny H. said...

Awwww that's very sweet of you to link and advertise our pivo worshiping blog. Just for that I owe you a pivo.

Also, I always say don't pay more than 35 CZK. 30 is already pushing it. You rich Canadians.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Blanka said...

Yeah I'm just rolling in the dough on my Czech salary, 90 czk is pocket change really!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger kent said...

Haha...Blanka, you elitist.

How come you didn't mention that you outdrank me on several occasions when I was there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home