Friday, December 08, 2006

Is it that obvious??

There seems to be this reaccuring theme that happens every time I introduce myself as Blanka from Canada. It happened again today. The converstation goes as followes;

Me: Hi my name is Blanka
Stranger: Where are you from?
Me: Canada
Stranger: Blanka? That doesn't sound like a Canadian name, and you don't look very Canadian...

Interject Miriam: What are Canadian people supposed to look like? (This always perplexes them)

Finally I reveal that I have Croatian roots and that I was born in Bosnia. This is followed by a self assuring "Ahhhh, I knew it, I knew there was something else going on there." Mystery solved.

But this has brought me to question what people outside of North America think Canadians look like. Do they have this mold inside their mind or is it just that they associate certain characteristics such as my dark hair and Slavic features (I guess) to some other country, ergo removing me from the Canadian look alike contest. But thats the beauty of Canada, we don't have any one certain defining physical characteristic that classifies us as Canadian. If we really want to get technical then the First Nations people would be the only ones considered to look like a Canadian. I've spoken about this to some of my "white" friends (oh god how impolitically incorrect of me) living abroad who never come across this. Maybe that's the label of a Canadian.

In any case, while I am utterly proud of my Croatian roots, I also consider myself to be Canadian, look alike or not.

5 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger kent said...

"What's a common name in Canada?"

I get that one a lot.

"Umm...Popoff, Chan, Popodopolous, Singh?"

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blanka,
Thanks for the tidbit of advice, it's nice to know that people are actually taking the time to read my life's annoyances :P Of course i am procratinating with studying... and sure enough it's accounting on Monday... and it's one thing you don't miss i'm sure. How are you doing? Any luck with the job hunting?
Vania

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger ~diana~ said...

That's kind of funny. And then there is me in Japan where everyone thinks I'm Japanese until I open my mouth and start speaking in english... but somehow, they don't get it and keep gibbering in Japanese to me.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger calal said...

1. good use of "ergo"
2. i think non-canadians think of canadians of white pale skin people with common british or american names. ex. Alex Martin (very pale)

I never get surprised looks when I say I'm Canadian. Sometimes people have even said "Yea, you look Canadian". So, ergo, does that answer anything?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Abner Gadiel said...

happens to me everyday and i also get something like "yea, your eyelashes are too long." hahaha that one always cracks me up!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home