Monday, October 23, 2006

A lesson….on how to bail

I’ve never considered myself to be the most coordinated or graceful individual but I did think that I had left my clumsiness days behind me in high school. Thursday night proved to me that this is not the case. After a really fun evening at a new trendy lounge in Zilina with my roommate and a couple of guys from upper management in her company including the CEO, we proceeded to leave and make it to the car. What followed was one of the more embarrassing moments that I have had in a long time. Keep in mind that I had only had one drink, a delicious long island ice tea I might add. So I’m leading the way to the parking lot, walking along the edge of the sidewalk, my first mistake, when I slip and fall to my knees. The whole time though I am thinking “woops,” but that I still have control of the situation. It’s just a small trip, ha ha, we’ll laugh it off and that will be that. Second mistake. Somehow, my body thought otherwise and I am witnessing myself fall flat on my face sprawled out on my stomach; it was more like a dive I suppose. The worst part is that it felt like something out of a cartoon, or a slow motion funniest video clip. I saw everything that was going to happen, before it actually did, and I had absolutely no control over it.

Of course everyone is all of a sudden shocked by my acrobatics. The general “are you ok” remarks are exchanged. I of course pretend to be super great, no problems because I feel like such a goof ball in front of everyone. In the meantime Miriam is laughing her face off uncontrollably, and while at the time I didn’t find the situation to be very funny, I can now see the humor in it. I was so anxious to get home because as soon as we got in the car I realized that I had scraped up my palm pretty bad. Upon later examination, it’s actually really bad and hurts like a you know what! I’m trying not to be a big baby about it but it continually throbs and all I can hope for is that it is not infected. I should have a nice scar to remember the evening.

In the meantime, I have a bruised ego to cure as well. The trick is to shed my new reputation as the clumsy Canadian girl!

1 Comments:

At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it possible that the pavement was uneven? There are some very hummocky patches of tarmac in Zilina, and also places where the new paving stones have been ripped up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home